Brad's chicken and sausage gumbo. Chef John takes gumbo to the oven, baking up a beautiful golden brown roux right alongside the chicken, sausage, and Holy Trinity in this dish. Gumbo doesn't have to be hard! Instead of slowly cooking and stirring a roux for what seems like forever, try this alternative baked method.
With ordinary ingredients, the right seasonings, and patience, the results are extraordinary. The secrets to a good gumbo aren't anything fancy either, but if you take the time to do them right. Put chicken pieces in a bowl. You can cook Brad's chicken and sausage gumbo using 20 ingredients and 7 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of Brad's chicken and sausage gumbo
- Prepare 3 lbs of chicken thighs with bone and skin.
- It’s of Seasoned flour to dredge chicken.
- It’s 1 of lg yellow onion, chopped.
- You need 1 of red & 1 yellow bell pepper, chopped.
- You need 6 of celery stalks, chopped.
- It’s 8-10 of roma tomatoes, chopped.
- Prepare 10 cloves of garlic, peeled and smashed.
- It’s 1 1/2 cups of cream sherry.
- It’s 1 1/2 cups of shortening.
- Prepare 1 1/2 cups of flour.
- Prepare 10-12 cups of water.
- Prepare 1/3 cup of granulated chicken bouillon.
- Prepare 1 tbs of dried oregano.
- You need 1 tbs of smoked paprika.
- You need 1/2 tbs of white pepper.
- Prepare of Cajun seasoning to taste. I like it spicy so I used a fair bit.
- You need 1 pkg of frozen okra.
- Prepare 1 1/2-2 lbs of andouille sausage, sliced 1/2 inch thick.
- You need 4-6 cups of prepared white rice.
- You need of Gumbo filé.
Blend salt, peppers, mustard, cayenne pepper, paprika, granulated garlic and file powder. Rub four teaspoons of the mixture over the chicken. Continue adding the roux mixture, half a cup at a time, always stirring rapidly and constantly. Add the smoked sausage and stir.
Brad's chicken and sausage gumbo step by step
- Place seasoned flour into a lg ziplock bag. Add chicken and seal. Shake well to coat evenly. Heat canola oil in a lg frying pan just under medium heat. Fry chicken covered until golden brown on both sides. Set aside..
- In the same pan, reserve 2 tbs of the chicken grease. Add onions, peppers, and celery. Fry on medium heat until onions are translucent..
- Meanwhile in a lg Dutch oven, melt shortening on medium heat. Add flour and mix thoroughly. Stir almost constantly until the roux becomes almost a chocolate brown and smells very nutty. This takes a while, but is the base Flavor of the dish. If it starts to smell burnt. Start over..
- Add tomatoes and garlic to the onion mixture. Keep frying until about half of the liquid from the onions evaporates. Add sherry. Bring to a simmer until half of that liquid evaporates..
- When the roux is done it will be a nice caramel color. Slowly add the onion mixture to it. Continue to stir constantly. Add water and mix thoroughly. Add the fried chicken, bouillon and spices. Bring to a simmer and simmer for an hour uncovered. Stir every 5-10 minutes.
- Adjust seasonings to taste. Add okra and sausage. Simmer for another 20 minutes..
- In a bowl, plate rice off to one side. Add gumbo to the bowl, and top with a chicken thigh. Sprinkle a little gumbo filé on top and serve immediately. Enjoy..
Chicken and Sausage Gumbo – Secret In Healthy Roux Plus Diabetic Chicken Gumbo! The secret to a good gumbo is the roux and Holly's secret is to use browned flour for a healthy roux. Not only is this roux a time saver, but you get that rich nutty flavor without all the fat. The gumbo tastes great and the. Remove and shred meat, and discard bones and skin; stir meat back into gumbo.